According to the Met Office, Thursday and Friday will see spells of heavy rain, strong winds and further snow for parts of the UK with several severe weather warnings in force, before Storm Dennis brings further very wet and windy weather this weekend.
Here is some advice on helping to ensure your bins remain upright and do not get blown onto paths or roads during heavy winds.
- Try and keep the time your wheelie bins are left out to a minimum. Put them out as late as you can on your collection day. Bins need to be put out by 6am on your collection day
- Where possible, place bins next to hedges or walls to maximise shelter from strong winds
- Place bins in ‘banks’ next to your neighbour’s bins as this can help prevent them from tipping over
- Where possible, try to place bins so they are easily visible and accessible for our crews, but not right next to the road
- Please be a vigilant, friendly neighbour and keep an eye out for any bins that have been tipped over by strong winds or are isolated
- After your bin has been emptied, please retrieve it and store it securely (such as in a garage, shed or garden) as soon as possible
This advice is also available on the SCDC website.