The Wilbrahams and Six Mile Bottom Table-Top Vegetable, Flower and Produce Show 2021
Saturday 17th July 2 pm,
Great Wilbraham Recreation Ground
THE PLAN is to run the Show on similar lines to last year’s Doorstep Show but to hold it on the Rec…weather permitting! Having the tables all in one place will enable everyone to get together, look around all the displays more easily and continue the tradition of this fun and social event for the Villages!
TABLES: A limited number of Hall tables will be available for use if you are unable to bring your own and help will be on hand for anyone needing their items transported from home to the Rec and back – just let Rosie White know, contact details overleaf. Don’t forget to bring a chair!
SET UP TIME: from 12 MIDDAY on the Rec. We are planning to have a circle of tables, socially distanced. Just choose a pitch on arrival – help will be available. There is no need to display your name, your table will be issued with a number for use by the Judges.
DISPLAYS: Normally we would issue a Show Schedule full of classes but as last year, we simply ask you to display anything you have grown, made, baked, produced, crafted or arranged, based on the following categories:
- Home grown fruit/vegetables (The Stephenson Cup)
- Flowers/foliage/plants from your garden (The Brian Fisher Salver)
- Flower arrangement with one or more roses (The Rose Bowl)
- Home produce e.g. eggs, preserves, bread, baking (Social Club Cup)
- Arts and Crafts – made within the last year (2012 Jubilee Rose Bowl)
- Children’s (under 12) Arts and Crafts (Thistle Tankard)
- Children’s (under 12) Garden on a plate/tray (Junior Cup). There will be a separate table for these.
- The best overall table display (Les Potter Cup)
- STOP PRESS: NEW CUP – The Show Helpers’ Cup: A posy of garden flowers/foliage in a jam jar.
ENTRY FEE: There are no individual entry fees per item (or prize money) but we suggest a voluntary contribution of £2 per table please, to help cover costs (under 16 year olds free).
THE PLUG PLANT COMPETITION: (David Waters Memorial Cup). Please bring your ‘nurtured’ fuchsia to the Rec after midday on the day of the Show and put it on the allocated table (labelled with your name and phone number).
THE SPUD IN THE BUCKET COMPETITION: STOP PRESS: NEW CUP –The Richard Wright Cup: Please deliver your bucket to the driveway of 13, High Street, Great Wilbraham on/before Friday,16th July (unwatered for previous 2 days, with leaves trimmed and labelled with your name and phone number). Please contact me if you need your bucket collecting.
THE PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION: (Doris Franklin Cup) has been kindly organized by Chris Fell and the Classes are as follows:
1) A Flower. Remember, a flower, not a plant! The photo should be all about a single bloom
2) Spots. Not acne, I hope! It might be a polka dot fabric garment or something in nature
3) Running water – a stream? A bath tap? A garden water feature?
4) A portrait – this could be a child, a pet or granny – Not a selfie please!
5) Mechanical – anything mechanical from something tiny like a clockwork watch to a combine harvester!!
Please send in your photos (max 2 per class) to Chris (firstname.lastname@example.org) by midnight, Friday 16th July.
REFRESHMENTS: We are hoping to serve the traditional ‘Tea/coffee and cakes’ on the terrace (Government COVID guidelines permitting) BETWEEN 2 – 4pm.
4pm: PRESENTATION OF THE CUPS to the winners, followed by an
AUCTION of any kindly donated items or produce.
(This includes a watercolour of ‘A view of the allotment along Toft Lane looking towards Squire’s Field’ by Ian McManus, who has very generously painted and framed it especially for the Show, to help raise funds for the Hall. Please see photo on the inside back cover of this summer’s edition of ‘The Warbler’ (frame size 58.5 x 49.5cm, painting size 36.5 x 26.5cm). The painting will be on view ‘on the day’ or beforehand by arrangement – contact details below.) ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE SHOW ARE FOR THE HALL FUNDS.
Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday, 17thJuly at the Rec with the ‘fruits of your labours’…. don’t forget there is a cup to be won for each section and for the best overall table display.
Or simply just come along from 2pm for a browse and meet up with family/ friends for a ‘cuppa’ and the Auction…fingers crossed for fine weather!!
Please contact me if you would like to take part and have a table display by WEDNESDAY 14th July so we can plan a circle on the Rec for the tables.…let me know if you need to borrow a table or if you have any queries about the Show.
Tel 01223 881293
Mobile 07757 982934